The Al Badin family arrived in Halifax last night, greeted by members of the Bay Refugee Project committee and the Zeina family. Thanks to everyone who has helped make this possible.
Now that the Zeina family is settled in Hubbards, we're ready to welcome the Al Badin family in a little over two weeks! After waiting for what seemed like forever, they made it through all the screenings and bureaucracy, so it's time for us to get their house in Tantallon together and to make sure they succeed as well as the Zeina's have.
The family are: Ruwad Al Badin (age 34) , his wife Ruba Hrez (age 29) and 5 year old son Albeer Al Badin. We can also share the exciting news that Ruba is expecting her 2nd child in January, so eventually baby items will be needed as well.
If you're wondering how to help get them off on the right foot, there are several ways, big and small:
1) Make a donation: Our in-kind donations registry has been updated and lists all the needed household items and clothing for our new neighbours. Please visit the registry page, and fill out the form to share new or gently-used items.
2) Volunteer your time: For people in the Tantallon area, we are going to need drivers, drivers and more drivers and the more we have, the less we have to ask of each person, so tell a friend! We need to help the family attend many appointments, grocery stores, English lessons, etc., and in the first months after their arrival, this will be critical. A small amount of your time can make a tremendous impact on their lives. If you are able to lend a hand, check in at our volunteer registry.
3) Continue supporting the Ziena family: Much of our people power is going to be refocused on setting the Al Badin’s in Tantallon, so we're going to need new volunteers in the Hubbards area to help keep the Zeina's on the move. Waffa is now working and has recently earned her learner's permit, so we except they will be self-sufficient in the near future, but we need to keep them mobile until then. Sign up on the volunteer registry if you can help out.
4) Be the Hubbard’s Area Volunteer Coordinator: This is a big one. We're need someone or a couple someones to coordinate volunteers in the Hubbards area, so our current coordinators can focus on settling our new family. This is absolutely critical and is a chance for the right person to make a huge impact and help the Zeina's achieve true independence. Get in touch if this looks like the role for you.
5) Show up to welcome the Al Badin’s at the airport: We don’t have an exact date as of yet, but they are arriving near the end of the month. Stay tuned for confirmation!
6) Drop in - make some connections! Nothing makes settling into a new country easier than making new friends, so feel free to drop on for a coffee with both the Zeina’s and the Al Badin’s. The Zeina’s English is really quite good now and the Al Badin’s are keen to practice their English as much as they can. Contact us to check on the best way to get in touch.
The Bay has already shown itself to be the little community with the big heart, so let's do it again and help our new family succeed as well as the Zeina's have.
Thank you all for everything you do.
The Bay Refugee Project team.
We are very happy to announce that word has come through the channels, that we will soon be welcoming an additional 2 Syrian families to St Margaret’s Bay. One family has one child of 5 years old. And the second family has twins at about the same age. We are SO looking forward to their arrival!
In preparation, we have rented two lovely units in the Tantallon area, (side by each as the families know each other), and we need to outfit them completely into welcoming homes. We would love your help. As the rental units are quite small and we would like to avoid receiving more than we need, we are asking everyone to fill out a donation form for needed items. This way we can also avoid duplicates as well.
One of our wonderful volunteers, Beverly, will follow up to confirm whether you can drop the item(s) off at the homes in Tantallon on a designated date (with the location and time which will be within the next 3 weeks) ), or if you would prefer that we arrange to pick your item(s) up. Just a reminder that ideally the items are either ‘gently used’ or new.
Thanks from all of us - to all of you - for your donations and support in welcoming our new Syrian families to their new home!
Please fill out the form in our in-kind registry if you have something you would like to donate.